Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Welcome Back to School! Icebreaker Games for P.E.

Welcome back to school everyone!  I am very happy to be teaching 5th grade and Kindergarten-A at Zinser this year!   This is my 7th year with the district.  This year I will be at Zinser on Mondays and ECC on Wednesdays.

Our first day of P.E. was great!  I already know most of the students because I taught their P.E. class when they were in 1st and 2nd grade.  It was awesome to discover they have continued to grow into wonderful, caring, and happy children.  This will be a great year for us in P.E.!

I hope you enjoy my P.E. blog.  I usually update it weekly so parents can view VIDEOS of what we are doing in class.  This blog is also for other P.E. teachers who are looking for lesson plan ideas.

This was our "Agenda" for today:
Welcome/Introductions
Discuss Expectations and Rewards
Choose squads and partners
Games:  "Grab It" and "Guard the Cookie Jar"


Videos of Grab It:  This is a game they played with their new partner.  The goal is to be the first person to grab the bean bag when I say the words "Grab It".  A point is earned for grabbing it first.  As you will see in the video, I sometimes trick them and say something other than Grab It.  If they touch the beanbag when I say a different word, a point is deducted.  This game got us all laughing!





Video of "Guard the Cookie Jar" - Similar to "Grab It", but with more movement! If a player is able to steal the cookie (the beanbag), then they become the new guard. The guards try to tag players before they steal their cookie.

7 comments:

  1. great game! simple but fun for the first day

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happens to the person who gets tagged?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happens to the person who gets tagged?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The player who is tagged has to go to a different cookie jar before returning to that same one again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this work for preps through to grade 6? Thanks Carly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have played these games with 3rd-5th graders, but I'm sure 6th would love them too! I think they would work with 1st-2nd also but I haven't tried it with the lower grades...

    ReplyDelete